Ryandor.com

Forums
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 12:25 pm

All times are UTC - 7 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: RUNUO *sigh*
PostPosted: Mon Mar 15, 2004 10:18 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

StormCrow hit it right on the head when he said RUNUO=Great EMU but bad Community. Those people have "ISSUES!".
Course I love to get them going but I just got a second warning from posting in their forums by the Forums Nazi's there.
I was totally unaware that posting in one forum that I had a news update one day and then posting in the submissions forums that I had new graphics to download the next day was a no no....they took both of the post and put them under the same header and spanked me with their little jello cov....oh wait...they gave me a stern lecture about my social misconduct.(DUH! Which part of "DOES NOT PLAY NICE WITH OTHERS!" could they not read on my shirt?)
They remind me of a pack of rabid hairless poodles who know their ugly and hate the world for it. *punts one for 50 yards! <YAP!>*

Signed,
That Evil Bastard!
Dev Viperrious

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:03 am 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

RunUO use to really be an excelent community, believe it or not.. During the time frame of the first 10 beta's, maybe even as far as 13, or 15.. is when it started to get shity.
Phantom was actually very mild mannored, the attitude back then started out with a guy named SickLab... Many of you surly know him.
Well, as the time passed, more kids started joining, and many just had more devotion to becoming a teachers pet, and act as if they were the moderators..
I mean, wtf... If its not your forum, why the fuck should you continuosly post shit about "You can not request scripts here!! Its Forbidden!!" or, like. "DO A SEARCH" or, "Your Posting in the Wrong Forum, Dipshit!"
damn man, I mean, personally, If its not a forum I run or moderate, I dont enforce any rules there, I only follow some simple common scence rules of my own, and whatever rules I might happen to read about there.

Yeah, RunUO community is prety much shit.. and the worst part about it.. Yeah, there is a worse part, THEY ALLOW IT, for the most part. bleh.

I rarly ever post anything there.. and been a member since before the first beta was even released.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 3:46 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've not even had time to visit then lately, but it's really too bad about that.

When you get a chance, compare userid #'s with me and Ryan's main account. I was registered on RunUO before he was :P

But anyway...

-Ryandor

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 4:28 pm 
The Defenestrator
The Defenestrator

It's wrong to insult people (applying to the dipshit part) when they make a mistake. It's nothing bad. But if I were them, I wouldn't even post in the first place if I had no answer to what they were asking, or any kind of reply valid to the posts topic. I can understand people trying to tell others they post on the wrong forum to prevent future mistakes, but yeah... most people who do this, do it with an attitude that makes the whole community look very unfriendly. But there's nothing you can do against it really. These people actually think they are doing a right thing... But that's on every well-visited forum :) Therefor I hope ryandor.com stays the way it is. I like it.

Post subject: agreed
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 6:22 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

I like it here too :)

Yeah I remember Sicklab....Phantom has 19k + which tells me something there. I think their "enhancing" their site stat's too, if you notice the same people are the only ones that post so I know they dont have 40k subscribers...especially since 8 of those accounts are mine :?

The downloads section is a dead give away as well, less than 1k for each publish until the last two which the numbers seemed to jump 10,000 fold. Until a couple months ago they still had less than 2k downloads on version 36, now there are over 20k.

Realisticly I think there are "Maybe" 4,000 people left in the EMU community at the very most. Out of the 4k I would say only around 50 are active at supporting the community with EMU's, tools or add's. (US Stat's, foreign countries seem to be more active than us.)

Sad when you have to lie like that to try and belittle one another.

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 7:31 pm 
Something Offensive
Something Offensive

Quoting myself, timeframe... about a week before Paigelore went down the second to most recent time...
Quote:
The UO EMU community has not gone to hell, it is hell.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 9:46 pm 
Dread Pirate
Dread Pirate

aye....you absolutly right.....look around we have well hmm Ryandor....mysite (kind-of) lol, Orb, Serpents Moon, and twilight manor....and the rag-tag emus and runuo sphere and pol....

thats it...sad

Post subject: hehe
PostPosted: Tue Mar 16, 2004 10:49 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

hehe
Check the news section of my site.

http://serpentsmoon.com/news.html

hell if I wasnt being bad I dunno what sort of trouble I'd get into...

Dev

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:24 am 
The Defenestrator
The Defenestrator

It's not even possible to have 20k downloads, unless someone is downloading it over and over again. Sphere is pretty popular, and especially with the 1.0 release you'd expect people to at least look at it. They dont even have as much downloads as 20k. Yeah, there's not even that much people making their own server, or trying to :p

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 8:57 am 
Apprentice
Apprentice

The Problem with RunUO down to a tee is Phantom. Recently it has been getting better... asking a "silly" question, has recently been given an answer rather than an insult. With out a doubt the person with the most knowledge there is Phantom, he is a great source of help BUT...

He is often very uphelpful, and even rude. If i was like Phantom i would be helpful. Probably the most uphelpful he has been is when i asked a scripting question, he responded with use a Point 3d reference. I knowing nothing about C# was lost, looked at doc's, even more lost. Asked again and he insulted me. So that idea went.

I agree there are too many young people who constantly flame and abuse people. I asked a question, which turned out to be a good question and i was given bad karma... the comment that came with it was "noob". Now please.... how can someone leave a comment like that.

The words "Search" I have been using as well. The new players forum, everyone asks the same question. I downloaded RunUO... what now. It is also the case with routers and many other things. RunUO doesn't help this fact be having a rather crap search system.

On the plus side there are people who are good and helpful. There are people who try to help, even if they aren't sure. In the starbucks forum, people can now chat about most things, and often there a structured arguements instead of the "shutup fag". The new subscriber forums, although a bit empty are also great. I haven't seen an arguement or a dismissal of an idea yet, except from Phantom of course who smashes any hopes people have of creating something new.

Overal RunUO is getting better, as longs as you can tolorate the random crap comments made by the 12 year olds and Phantom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2004 12:30 pm 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

I have not looked in the Newcommer forums since the web change, but it did start out with the description of Phantom is not allowed here!

hmm, wonder why..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 5:24 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

Well, i've taken a look at this "community", too.. and now i understand what Vip meant in the other thread. But hey, haveing a worse support will make you work harder to lern it by yourself :twisted:
There are hundreds of C# Tutorials out there (and a dozen good ones :P ) so it shouldn't be a problem if you really want to learn it.
A bigger problem is the fact that RunUO doesn't give any information of how to get inside their system or simply how to start.
As i'm still learning C# I don't really get a clue and i wont start scripting till i doesn't have some tutorials worked through. Asking in the forums seems to be useless, if its about newb questions. Maybe, one day, the forums will be wiped out of the flam0rs and will become something that might be called a "community forum"... in its beginning stage :shock:

regards,
Ya (still wondering what a forum nazi is :lol: )

Post subject: Nazi
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 6:18 pm 
Posting Whore
Posting Whore

The Forum Nazi's are the moderators at RUNUO who deleted "2" of my post in the "Not Moderated" forums because I hurt Phantoms feelings and had him shaking so bad he couldnt type :P
All post there are fine except those that point out their stupidity or the mental cases that hang out in their forums.

Signed,
That Evil Bastard!
Dev Viperrious

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:02 pm 
Peanut Gallery
Peanut Gallery

I think Paigelore disappearing was the signal that the community was withering to nothing worthwhile. Years and years ago, back when Paige was going through a new design every day (all with his beloved frames), the community felt like a warm, welcoming frontier town where everybody is greeted with open arms. Now there are too many fat old men who think they know better than everybody else, and want to keep it that way.

The same thing happened, if you?ve been around long enough to notice, in the original UO community. Back when OSI existed (which it does not in any way, shape, or form now!) and EA didn?t much care for online games, the UO community was an awesome place. Now it?s just sad... sad enough to make a person want to cry.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 22, 2004 7:08 pm 
Apprentice
Apprentice

got to agree 100% here my favorite thing that happened to me in thier forums was trying to find where to cap fc/fcr Fantom jumps in with his Mouth and says try a serch.

well i did try several serches but thier serchengin the sting it serches for must be 4 char in leingth so fc fcr cap returns NOTHING. i did several serches on faster casting and came up blank.

so in my joy with phantom i pointed this out to him that his serch engin could not handel the request so he then posts back with a link to a page that doesnt work or no longer exists.

well aparently he doesnt take to criticim very well for the post got pulled. all this over somthing as simple as sating just got to xxxx.cs and look for this xxxx its not like i was aksing for the script to be writin for me.

OH and FYI phantom still flames peeps in the newbi forums

gawin

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 23, 2004 9:46 pm 
Journeyman
Journeyman

i think the biggest problem with runuo and its community is the way the software is set up. All you have to do is unzip it and you have a perfect osi clone, so you have all these dipshit kids clogging up uo gateway with their shards that have nothing put into them.

with sphere, by the time you went through the setup.ini file to get it going you allready had a somewhat custom shard.

that, and the learning curve is pretty steep for runuo. c# is a full out programing language, powerfull yes but a steep learning curve. if you take the time to learn c# then you can probably figuer out most things on your own and if you don't want to get that into it, well tough shit cause i've seen not a single person take the time to write a newcommers guid to making scripts for runuo.

its a shame really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 2:49 am 
Not your daddy
Not your daddy

I can agree with most of what you said upto the learning bit. There has been and still are several different posts and threads on the learning scripting of RunUO 101.. etc. The reality of it all though, is if you just spent some time learning the actual C# language, and not focus in on the RunUO scripts right off.. you would not need much assistance in learning it. There is no "learning RunUO scripting" like you have with Sphere, POL, or whatever else. If you know C#, you can script anything in RunUO with some minor references to the DOC files, wich you can generate at any time, and they will recreate themselves with your custom scripts included. well.. anyways..

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 8:40 am 
Young
Young

There were a couple times my husband posted script or asked " can this be done." In which Phantom said " it is impossible." THen my husband turned around and did it! So I do not think Phantom is very helpful or knowledgeable at all. He knows C# that is a fact, but he lacks creative problemsolving techniques which are required to make it in the business. My admin and Phantom get into it which I think is funny. And Phantom has responded to a couple of my posts, he wasn't too bad, and I made fun of myself so no one would get a chance too.
The only reason Phantom is allowed free reign is because he is making a factions system ( which a couple of people in my Gm group could make in a couple weeks tops). Once he is done doing that, I have a feeling he won't be Ryan's pet anymore. I think he is probably a really nice guy in real life, but has some issues with inferiority. Alot of those computer guys do.
As for Ryan, I really don't know much about him. But he seems alot like the guy I am a co-admin with. And they butt heads alot too suprise suprise. lol. The community there disheartens me so I don't post anymore, but I love RunUO. I just hope Ryan doesn't get his butt sued off so they can't release anymore. I guess he is the money bags of the project.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2004 12:45 pm 
The Defenestrator
The Defenestrator

They can easily script a factions system themselves, or get anyone with a better personality to do it. Sometimes these tactics are used to get someone busy so they'll shut up, or wont be an ass anymore as long as you give them something to do, and make them feel important :P